Saturday, December 8, 2007

Sunday afternoon


Spent a late night out with some folks from Canada, Josh and Jackie, along with their friend, Moon. We ate at a tradional Korean BBQ joint for over an hour and then went back to Moons' for drinks. Josh, from Toronto, had a birthday, so we ate a bite of cake with chop sticks and discussed numerous topics. One in particular focused on the hybrid combinations that have formed between the Chinese, Korean, and sometimes Japanese languages. I thought Spanish and German were challenging, Forget about it! I have been picking up a bit and speaking another language for the first time feels like trying on a whole new skin. Quite fun really. The inflections are suttle in their pronunciation. And because Koreans, at least in Ulsan, are so homogenous as a culture, feel that exact and proper pronunication of their language is essential. We were told we will run into folks who will not cut us a break for slightly off pronuncation, but to just push through it and embrace as much as possible. We'll see!

After dinner we hit a grocery store and Sarah found an "I Love NY" hostess sort of dessert. Just another example of the popularity of all things American here.

2 comments:

maurice said...

glad to see you've created a blog. I think it's the best way to go in your situation. Sounds like your having fun. I love the "we love America" shit. I feel like puffing my chest out and saying "that's right bitch, kiss my feet and bring me some nachos". Maybe you can enlighten them on some current American truths.

Nachos are from Korea, right?

P.S. My word verification for this post is "milfl"

jasonbehuniak said...

The love of Americam + England are reflected on all sorts of products and can be found everywhere. No doubt! I know pasta and some spices are from here, but nachos are hard to find. Lots of dried squid and crazy looking fish though. On "truth" they could benefit from: "good beer means good life". The beer is weak here. And the soju contains a by-product from ethonal production. So we're moving to the Chilean + Australian wines. Quite good and affordable.